Keep it simple this summer
Why not make the most of your days and get out of the kitchen this summer! Grab a cooked chook or some prawns and have these sides in the fridge ready to go at your next summer social event.
Grilled Pumpkin, Red Onion and Spinach Salad
- About 1.5kg of butternut pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded and sliced thinly.
- 3-4 Red Onions cut into thin wedges
- 1 300g bag spinach
- 200g feta (crumbled or cubed)
- Toasted toppings to garnish (sliced almonds or pine nuts)
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1-2 tablespoon red wine vinegar (depending on your tastes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil.
Grill the pumpkin and onion on a BBQ or grill the night before and place in the fridge. In the morning, combine the onion, pumpkin, spinach and feta in a bowl. Combined all dressing ingredients and drizzle over. Season to taste and throw in a handful of sliced almonds or pinenuts if you wish.
Smashed Potato Salad
- 1kg small chat potatoes
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
Boil potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until just tender (around 8-10 minutes). Drain, place in a bowl and coat with oil. Place potatoes on a barbeque and use a fork or masher to gently flatten. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side until crispy and golden brown. Place back in bowl and add onion, parsley, chives, garlic, lemon juice and mustard. Toss to combine and serve hot or cold.
You can’t beat a pav and who says they are only for Christmas Day! EVERYDAY is a pavlova appropriate day in our books!
Purchase a store made base, some cream and the fruit of your choice and you have yourself the worlds easiest (and some would say most delicious) dessert!